- Module Code:
- Module Not Running 2020/2021
- FHEQ Level:
- Taught in:
- Term 2
Students will be taught to read and write Nepali in the Devanagari script.
This module is designed to meet the needs of students who already speak and understand Nepali to some degree. Firstly students will be introduced to the vowels and consonants developing in to words and sentences. Special attention will be given to conjunct letters, handwriting and different fonts and styles. Secondly students will be trained to read and write a selection of texts.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
On successful completion of this module a student will be able to:
- Read and write Nepali and access textual material in Nepali
Total of 10 weeks teaching with 2 hours classroom contact per week consisting of a 1 hour lecture and a 1 hour tutorial.
Scope and syllabus
- Creating syllables
- Writing words and sentences
- Reading prose texts
- Reading and writing on social media
- Comprehension of news reports
- Understanding and writing poetry
Method of assessment
- Writing task (300 words) to be submitted on day 1, week 6, term 2 (25%)
- Transcription task (300 words) to be submitted on day 1, week 8, term 2 (25%)
- Writing task (300 words) to be submitted on day 5, week 1, term 3 (25%)
- Reading task (recorded by student as a sound file) to be submitted on day 5, week 1, term 3 (25%)
Readings for this course will contain frequently news items of current issues. Material will come from sources such as e-kantipur, Gorkhapatra, Annapurna or others