Persian 2 A (UG)
- Module Code:
- FHEQ Level:
- Year of study:
- Taught in:
- Term 1
The course provides for the teaching and learning of lower-intermediate level Persian language with emphasis on practical written and spoken Persian. The course introduces complex sentence structures including relatives clauses, as well as more focused use of idiomatic structures in Persian writing and discourse.
By the end of this module students should be able to describe experiences, events, plans, hopes and concerns in both spoken and written language with ease and confidence. Furthermore, they should be able to interact on topics of everday work, leisure and travel. Enhancing students structural knowledge of the written and spoken language is done through oral, aural and reading comprehension, and translation of a variety of Persian texts, or digital, audio and visual material, dealing with variety of topics and different registers of Persian language.
Persian 1B-155906049 or equivalent
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
At the end of the module, a student should be able to demonstrate…
- knowledge and understanding of lower-intermediate (CRL B1) Persian grammar
- knowledge and understanding of a range of Persian vocabulary for everyday work, travel, and social interactions.
- knowledge and understanding of the appropriateness of a range of Persian structures and expressions in a given context
- the ability to understand passages in written Persian of medium length on everyday and familiar topics with the help of a dictionary.
- the ability to produce passages in written Persian of medium length on everyday and familair topics.
- the ability to understand Persian spoken at an unrushed pace and to engage in spoken discourse of relative complexity on everyday and some familiar topics
Total of 10 weeks teaching with 4 hours classroom contact per week in language classes.
Scope and syllabus
- Reading: Reading material is selected from a variety of sources including everyday news and social items from newspapers, magazines, or internet sources, relevant to everyday needs such as travel brochures, instructions, guide books, and simple short stories.
- Writing: The practice of this skill includes a variety of tasks such as translation, composition, thank you letters, and diary enteries. The main aim of the exercise is to promote grammatical accuracy and improve handwriting, and encourage wor-processing and typing in Persian. The teaching of grammar at this level is informal and contextual where appropriate.
- Oral: This aspect of the module concentrates on communicative and descriptive skills at lower intermediate level such as conducting informal social conversation, formal dialogues, asking for instructions, making arrangements and inquiries.
- Aural: Listening material in the form of recordings from radio, or audio podcasts or films, etc. suitable for lower-intermediate level.
Method of assessment
- x1 Mid Term Test (20%)
- x1 3hr Unseen Written Exam (40%)
- x1 Oral Exam (20%)
- A weekly journal, or a portfolio of writing and translations, or narrated powerpoints, or podcasts- or a combination of all these language use options, in Persian. 800-to-1,000 words in total or 20 minutes audio, or video in total (20%)