Arabic 2 (UG)
- Module Code:
- FHEQ Level:
- Year of study:
- Taught in:
- Term 2
IMPORTANT! First Year students: before applying, please check the Arabic Module Choices guide to determine your appropriate entry level for Arabic.
This is an Intermediate course in Modern Standard Arabic.The main emphasis is on mastering the basic structures of Modern Standard Arabic as a means of communication, particularly in relation to journalism, with equal emphasis on reading, writing, speaking and hearing.News broadcasts are introduced, and oral competence is developed through extensive use of media resources as well as in small-group conversation classes, where some elements of colloquial Arabic are also introduced.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
On successful completion of this module a student will be able to:
- Have a solid intermediate level of competence in both productive (speaking/writing) and receptive skills (reading/ listening) in Arabic
- Have some knowledge of cultural issues in relation to uses of the language also form part of the course requirements
- Begin learning the basic structures of Modern Standard Arabic as a means of written communication, particularly in relation to journalism
- Develop oral competence which is developed through extensive use of language laboratory facilities as well as in small-group conversation classes, where some elements of colloquial Arabic are also introduced
- Be able to handle basic materials in Arabic and communicate in Arabic at beginner's level.
- Acquire translation skills to and from Arabic and English
A total of 22 weeks teaching with 10 hours classroom contact per week
Method of assessment
- 1 x 2hr in class mid term written and spoken test (30%)
- 1 x 30min oral exam (30%) in May/June
- 1 x 2hr unseen written exam (40%) in May/June