Arabic 2 (UG)
- Module Code:
- FHEQ Level:
- Year of study:
- Year 1
- Taught in:
- Term 2
IMPORTANT! First Year students: before applying, please check the Arabic Module Choices guide to determine your appropriate entry level for Arabic.
This is an intermediate course in Modern Standard Arabic.The main emphasis is on mastering the basic structures of Modern Standard Arabic as a means of communication, particularly in relation to journalism, with equal emphasis on reading, writing, speaking and hearing. News broadcasts are introduced, and oral competence is developed through extensive use of media resources as well as in small-group conversation classes, where some elements of colloquial Arabic are also introduced.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
On successful completion of this module a student will:
- have a solid intermediate level of competence in both productive (speaking/writing) and receptive (reading/ listening) skills in Arabic.
- have some knowledge of cultural issues in relation to uses of the language, which also forms part of the course requirements.
- begin learning the basic structures of Modern Standard Arabic as a means of written communication, particularly in relation to journalism.
- develop oral competence through extensive use of language laboratory facilities, as well as in small-group conversation classes, where some elements of colloquial Arabic are also introduced.
- be able to handle basic materials in Arabic and communicate at an intermediate level.
- acquire translation skills to and from Arabic and English.
A total of 10 weeks teaching with 10 hours classroom contact per week.
Method of assessment
Assessment for this module consists of:
- 1 x 90-minute end-of-term test (20%)
- 1 x 15-minute oral test (20%)
- 1 x 2-hour written exam (60%)
- The exact assessment deadline dates are published on the relevant module Moodle/BLE page