Arabic 1 (UG)
- Module Code:
- FHEQ Level:
- Year of study:
- Taught in:
- Term 1
IMPORTANT! First Year students: before applying, please check the Arabic Module Choices guide to determine your appropriate entry level for Arabic.
This is a Beginners course in Modearn Standard Arabic.The main emphasis is on mastering the basic structures of Modern Standard Arabic as a means of communication, particularly in relation to journalism, with equal emphasis on reading, writing, speaking and hearing.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
On successful completion of this module a student will be able to:
- Have a solid biggner level of competence in both productive (speaking/writing) and receptive skills (reading/ listening) in Arabic
- Have some knowledge of cultural issues in relation to uses of the language also form part of the course requirements
- Begin learning the basic structures of Modern Standard Arabic as a means of written communication, particularly in relation to journalism
- Develop oral competence which is developed through extensive use of language laboratory facilities as well as in small-group conversation classes, where some elements of colloquial Arabic are also introduced
- Be able to handle basic materials in Arabic and communicate in Arabic at beginner's level.
A total of 22 weeks teaching with 10 hours classroom contact per week
Scope and syllabus
A graded internally-produced syllabus is followed. This provides grammar, vocabulary, exercises, passages for translation and comprehension.
Method of assessment
- 1x 2hr in class mid term test (50%)
- 1x 2hr unseen written exam (50%) in May/June