Directed Studies on an Asian or African Language B (PG)
- Module Code:
- FHEQ Level:
- Year of study:
- Taught in:
- Term 2
This module is based on directed studies on a topic agreed with the supervisor. The topic should be related to language policy, language history, cultural background, or linguistic background of a specific language area.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
On successful completion of this module a student will be able to:
- Analyse the relationship between language and society
- Recognize and give examples of the ways in which language and culture are integrated.
- Define how language is related to culture in local, national and global contexts.
- Reflect critically on the language policy, language history or linguistic background of the language area studied.
- Appraise some of the key texts related to the study of a particular language area.
- Develop an appreciation of, and sensitivity to, different cultural and linguistic practices and perspectives.
Total of 2 hours project supervision.
Scope and syllabus
A topic to be agreed in consultation with the supervisor.
Method of assessment
- A 2000-word essay (100%) due Term 3
- The exact assessment deadline dates are published on the relevant module Moodle/BLE page