Modern and Contemporary Arts in Africa
- Module Code:
- Year of study:
- Taught in:
- Term 1
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
- At the end of the course, a student should be able to demonstrate
- To develop an understanding of the methods, practice and key issues in art history and visual culture in relation to photography and contemporary arts.
- To be able to assess critically the materials and themes explored in the course and evaluate different approaches by art historians and visual theorists.
- To develop/consolidate a range of skills relevant to an understanding of photography and the contemporary arts of Africa; and to general research and study skills through participation in the course.
- To have an appreciation of the variety of cultural values and explore their implications for equality issues such as class, "race", gender, sexual orientation, age and disability as they pertain to the course and the issues raised.
- One hour Lecture, one hour Seminar
Method of assessment
- One 750 words book review (worth 30%)
- One 2 500 words essay (worth 70%)