Issues in Contemporary Southeast Asian Art
- Module Code:
- Year of study:
- Taught in:
- Term 2
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
On successful completion of this course a student will be able
- Identify and critically analyze current issues and debates surrounding the production, interpretation, and representation of “Southeast Asian contemporary art”
- Develop theoretical literacy related to the terminology of contemporary art and situate these in the context of Southeast Asia
- Articulate issues of art historiography and geography from an interdisciplinary approach, drawing from key readings on Southeast Asia in the fields of history, anthropology, and curatorship
- Apply critical theorization and methodologies to objects and case studies from Southeast Asia
LO5. Analyze such practices and debates within a broader transnational and comparative scope
- One hour Lecture, one hour Seminar
Scope and syllabus
WEEK 1: Regionalism and History
WEEK 2: Historiography
WEEK 3: Modernism and the Modern
WEEK 4: Diaspora
WEEK 5: Local/Global
WEEK 6: Reading Week
WEEK 7: Conceptualism
WEEK 8: Curatorship and Biennial Culture
WEEK 9: Participation
WEEK 10: Alternative Regionalisms
WEEK 11: Presentations
Method of assessment
- One 2 000 words essay (worth 70%)
- One 30mns group presentation (worth 30%)
- Chiu, Melissa., and Benjamin Genocchio, eds. Contemporary Art In Asia: A Critical Reader. Cambridge, Mass.: MIT Press, 2011.
- Taylor, Nora A., and Boreth Ly, eds. Modern and Contemporary Southeast Asian Art: An Anthology. Ithaca, N.Y.: Southeast Asia Program Publications, Southeast Asia Program, Cornell University, 2012.
- Antoinette, Michelle, Reworlding Art History: Encounters with Contemporary Southeast Asian Art After 1990. Leiden: Brill, 2014.
- Mathur, Saloni. The Migrant's Time: Rethinking Art History and Diaspora. Williamstown, Mass.: Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute, 2011.
- Filipovic, Elena, Marieke van Hal, Solveig Ovstebo (Eds.), The Biennial Reader, Ostfildern, Germany: Hatje Cantz Verlag, 2010.