Intermediate Modern Chinese Language: Listening and Speaking
- Module Code:
- FHEQ Level:
- Year of study:
- Taught in:
- Full Year
This module aims at improving students' Chinese proficiency by focusing on training their listening and speaking skills. The module is designed in such a way that it combines traditional classroom teaching with independent learning through Moodle as a platform for online resources, which gives learners flexibility and accessibility. The content of the module is twofold. First, it adopts traditional listening methods using materials especially developed for this course, covering both formal and colloquial usage. Secondly, it uses authentic audio-visual online materials specifically tailored to this module, which cover general issues in Chinese society and worldwide to make language leaning in the classroom more relevant to current issues. Speaking activities will be in the form of presentations, discussions and debates with emphasis on using transitional expressions.
At the end of the module, students will have expanded and consolidated their vocabulary and grammar structures accordingly; they will be able to express themselves in a more concise and coherent manner and will be confidently use authentic aural and visual materials in Chinese for their study and research.
Your language skills would need to be the same as students returning from their second year abroad in Beijing and equivalent to UG students on the module Chinese 302B: Intermediate Modern Chinese Language (Listening and Speaking).
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
On successful completion of this module a student will be able to:
- Enlarge their vocabulary and consolidate grammar;
- Express themselves in a more concise and coherent manner on general topics with awareness of using transitional expressions;
- Develop methods to approach authentic aural and visual materials with confidence.
Total of 22 weeks teaching with 2 hours classroom contact per week consisting of a 2 hour lecture.
Scope and syllabus
- Week 1-2 Tourism/ Quiz /Homework portfolio 1
- Week 3-4 Transportation/ Quiz /Homework portfolio 2
- Week 5-6 Social issues Consolidation/Quiz
- Week 7 Consolidation /Oral presentation
- Week 8-9 Social issues/ Quiz/ Homework portfolio 3
- Week 10 Social issues/Quiz/ Homework portfolio 4
- Week 11 Test 1
- Week 1-2 Science and Technology/Quiz/ Homework portfolio 5
- Week 3-4 Health /Quiz/ Homework portfolio 6
- Week 5-6 Life and debate skills
- Week 7 Consolidation and Group Debate
- Week 8-9 Consumption /Homework portfolio 7
- Week 10 Environment and HSK mock/ homework portfolio 8
- Week 11 Consolidation/ Test 2
Method of assessment
Eight pieces of listening homework (16%); 2 listening tests (14%); 2 presentations (10%); briefing/report on selective video with critical commentary and Q&A with assessors of 15 minutes duration (30%); listening examination (30%).
- People's Daily http:www.people.com.cn (both Chinese and English versions),
- Financial Times http://marcopoloproject.org/work-with-us/online-engagement-officer/(both English and Chinese versions),
- Weekly News Journal http://cctv.cntv.cn/lm/xinwenzhoukan/index.shtml
- Phoenix TV http://phtv.ifeng.com/
- CCTV4 http://cctv4asia.cntv.cn/
- BBC World Service http://www.bbc.co.uk/zhongwen/simp