Advanced Japanese for business and management
- Module Code:
- Taught in:
- Term 2
This course is especially designed for students of the MSc International Management for Japan programme and has an entry requirement approximating JLPT Level 2 or a first degree in Japanese. It is intended for non-native Japanese speakers to develop their ability to communicate in Japanese business contexts such as letter writing, internet usage and giving business presentations. The approval and signature of the programme or academic convenor is required to take this course – please contact Mrs Yoshiko Jones (email@example.com) of SOAS Language Centre for further details.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
On successful completion of the course students will be:
- able to get information from Japanese media or websites in Japanese
- able to communicate with Japanese business counterparts using e-mail, telephone , fax or business letters
- confident enough to talk about business with Japanese people with proper business manner
- able to talk comfortably using Keigo with Japanese business people
- able to present their projects in Japanese in front of business people
This module consists of a 2-hours classroom contact over 10 weeks of the term plus a revision class in term 3 as preparation for the final examination. Students will be supplied with a syllabus with a breakdown week by week of required and additional reading. Reading materials are usually accessed electronically from the BLE and students should come to class prepared.
Total Work load:
Students on this module will have 2 taught hours each week. Additionally, adequate personal study time should be allocated for reading and class preparation.
Method of assessment
Assessment for this module is in five elements:
- Two practicals, each at 10%
- One oral/presentation at 20%
- On writing practical at 10%
- One unseen 2-hour written examination at 50%