Cultural Intelligence and Global Business Communication
- Module Code:
- FHEQ Level:
- Year of study:
- Year 1
- Taught in:
- Term 2
Cross Cultural Management will be renamed Cultural Intelligence and Global Business Communication for the 2020/21 session.
Cultural intelligence is the ability for people, organizations, and businesses to relate to culturally diverse situations and work effectively in them. It has become a vital aspect to international businesses. Working with people effectively requires different cultural approach and ability to get well in the international teams and global collaboration.
International business managers and leaders do need to have the resources, knowledge, and talents of cultural intelligence. This module therefore is designed to develop cultural intelligence through a highly practical approach to enhance interpersonal and intercultural communication skills for future career in international teams and global business environment.
The body of the module examines the fundamental concepts of cultural, assesses the impact of cultural values in intercultural business environment and explores the the impact of cultural difference on international team effectiveness, business negotiations, communication, and personal presentation.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
In general, the course aims to:
- develop an understanding of how cultural factors can influence management decision-making;
- develop skills in identifying when culture is an influence in any one event, and when not;
- responding appropriately when culture is an influence
- Develop an understanding of culture, cultural differences, cultural values, beliefs and assumptions.
- Appreciate the benefits and potential challenges to effective intercultural communication.
- Develop an understanding of cross-cultural issues in different forms of communication – verbal, non-verbal and professional
- Explore how cultural differences can impact on group effectiveness, negotiations, communication, and personal presentation and impression
- Develop cultural intelligence in managing cultural difference and diversity in international teams and international business environment
This module consists of a 1-hour weekly lecture over 10 weeks of term plus a revision lecture in term 3 as preparation for the final examination. Students will be supplied with a syllabus with a breakdown week by week of required and additional reading. Reading materials are usually accessed electronically from the BLE and students should come to class prepared.
This module also has a weekly 1-hour tutorial where the questions posed by the tutor relevant to the lecture are explored and discussed by the students. Students also prepare and deliver a short presentation.
Total Work load:
Students on this module will have 2 taught hours each week. Additionally, adequate personal study time should be allocated for reading and class preparation.
Scope and syllabus
- The Nature of Culture and Cultural Dimensions/Values
- Cultural Intelligence
- Cultural Diversity
- Cultural Shock
- Communicating across Cultures
- Cross-Cultural Negotiation
- Role-play Negotiation
- Managing International Teams
- Managing Expatriation and Returnees
Method of assessment
Assessment for this module until 2019/20 is in three elements:
- One two hour written exam paper 60%
- One 20 minute oral presentation at 10%
- One essay of 2,500 words at 30%
Assessment for this module from 2020/21 is in three elements:
- One 30 minute oral presentation at 20%
- Two essays of 2,500 words at 40% each
All elements except the presentation may be resubmitted.