Higher Intermediate Readings in Korean (PG)
- Module Code:
- Taught in:
- Full Year
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
At the end of the module, a student should be able to demonstrate…
- A knowledge and understanding of the appropriateness of a wide range of Korean structures and expressions in a given context
- The ability to understand passages in written Korean of medium to increased length on everyday and some specialised topics
- The ability to understand/translate/summarize/extract information/draw inferences from Korean texts drawn from a range of sources
- The ability to use acquired strategies for working independently on Korean written texts
- The ability to produce texts in written Korean of medium length to increased length on everyday and some specialised topics
Total of 20 weeks teaching with 3 hours classroom contact per week in language classes.
Scope and syllabus
The module provides extensive practice specifically in reading skills and aims at bridging the intermediate level and the advanced level where independent use of authentic texts is expected.
It will provide additional practice of linguistic structures and also an initial training in the reading of relatively naturalistic texts. Students will be encouraged to appreciate not only structural, but also stylistic and cultural issues of the texts.
Resources will include near authentic to authentic materials dealing with current issues in the Korean culture and society. It allows students to interact with Korean speakers in Korean and to use original Korean language sources within the level covered in the module. This provides students with a basis to approach research topics relating to Korean language and the societies and cultures associated with Korea.
The seminars/tutorials introduce the students to work on a portfolio and assist the students to obtain required components, such as reading / translation / summarise / abstract information relating to their reading skills for their research. Also it enables the students to deepen their knowledge of current issues in the Korean culture and society and their scholarly interest.
Method of assessment
One three-hour written examination taken in May/June (60%); an essay of 600-800 words in Korean to be submitted on day 1, week 1, term 2 (10%); an essay of 600-800 words in Korean to be submitted on day 1, week 1, term 3 (10%); a language portfolio (20%).
1) The module will be based on
Extracts from near authentic to authentic materials and additional materials which will be made available thought the academic year.
2) Additional Korean References
- S.Park (2009) Hanguk Hangugin , Beatuful KoreanSchool
- Y. Kwon etc. (2009) Hanguk Munwha Ilki, Beautiful Korean School
- Ewha Language Center(2008) Dehak Hangugo Ilki Sugi 2, Epress
- Ewha Language Center(2008) Dehak Hangugo Ilki Sugi 1, Epress
- Y.Choi(2007) Hangugo Dokhe, Hanguk Muwhasa
- Y. Hoe(2007) Inmun Hangugo, Darakwon
- S. Kim etc. (2007) Sogang Hangugo 5B, Sogang University
- H. Cho etc. (2005) Hangugo ilki, Hawoo
- S.Lee etc. (2000) Exploring Korean, Minjung Seorim