Intensive Japanese 1
- Module Code:
- Module Not Running 2021/2022
- FHEQ Level:
- Taught in:
- Full Year
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
At the end of the module, a student should be able to demonstrate…
- knowledge and understanding of intermediate Japanese grammar
- knowledge and understanding of a wide range of Japanese vocabulary
- knowledge and understanding of the appropriateness of a wide range of Japanese structures and expressions in a given context
- the ability to understand and to produce passages written in Japanese of medium length on everyday and some specialized topics
- the ability to understand spoken Japanese and to engage in short spoken discourse on everyday and some specialized topics
- the ability to translate from and to Japanese of medium length with use of appropriate language on everyday and some specialized topics
This module will be taught over 22 weeks with 9 hours classroom contact per week consisting of 8 hours lectures and 1 hour seminar.
Scope and syllabus
The module introduces grammatical basics of Japanese, through a combination of skills based classes, including the use of audio-visual materials and VLE. At the end of this module, the students will have all the tools necessary to progress to the guided reading of literary and non-literary text (with knowledge of over 800 Chinese characters), and will be equipped with confidence to interact with a degree of fluency and spontaneity in the target language. The aim will be to reach the Level B1 of CEFR.
Method of assessment
One two-hour written examination paper taken in May/June (30%); one three-hour written examination paper taken in May/June (40%); continuous assessment of homework assignments (10%); continuous assessment consisting of regular tests, listening test, speaking test, and written test (20%).