Korean 1 (PG)
- Module Code:
- Taught in:
- Full Year
This module is available to students on postgraduate degrees where a language option is allowed to be taken. Students on the MA Korean Studies choosing a language option may choose the course Elementary Korean (PG) 15PJKC015 or this module after consultation with the course teacher.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
At the end of the module, a student should be able to demonstrate…
- knowledge and understanding of basic Korean grammar
- knowledge and understanding of essential Korean vocabulary
- knowledge and understanding of the appropriateness of basic Korean structures and expressions in a given context
- the ability to understand short passages in written Korean on everyday topics
- the ability to produce short passages in written Korean on everyday topics
- the ability to understand spoken Korean and to engage in short spoken discourse on everyday topics
- the ability to learn Korean autonomously through independent language-based activities (specific learning outcome for PG students)
This module will be taught over 22 weeks with 4 hours classroom contact per week in language classes.
Scope and syllabus
The module provides an introduction to Korean language with emphasis on practical written and spoken Korean. Communicative practice is established through learning language around dialogues dealing with a range of everyday situations, including travelling, buying and selling, etc.
It provides students with a basic knowledge of Korean and practice of using Korean in a variety of everyday situations. It allows students to interact with Korean speakers in Korea and to use original Korean language sources within the level covered in the module.
Method of assessment
One three-hour written examination taken in May/June (50%); a language learning portfolio to be submitted on day 1, week 10, term 2 (20%); a 15 minute oral examination (10%); two listening tests (10%); continuous assessment (10%).
- Elementary Korean. King & Yeon. Tuttle Publishing Co.
Also additional materials which will be made available throughout the course.
Additional Korean References
- Integrated Korean: Beginning Level 1 . Yong-mee Cho. University of Hawai’i Press
- Integrated Korean: Beginning Level 2 . Yong-mee Cho. University of Hawai’i Press
- Integrated Korean: Intermediate Level 1 . Yong-mee Cho. University of Hawai’i Press
- Pathfinder in Korean I: Beginning . The Institute of Language Education. Ewha Womans University Press
- Beautiful Korean Series. Korean Education Research Center. Beautiful Korea School Co. Ltd.
- The Sounds of Korean: A Pronunciation Guide. Miho Choo. University of Hawai’i Press
- Korean Grammar for International Learners. Ho Bin Ihm. Yonsei University Press
- The Korean Language. Iksop Lee, State University of New York Press
- The Korean language : structure, use and context . Jae Jung Song. Routledge
- Korean language in culture and society . University of Hawaii Press
- Frontiers of Korean language acquisition . Jae Jung Song. Saffron
- Korean : an essential grammar . Kim-Renaud. Routledge.