Intensive Elementary Japanese 1
- Module Code:
- FHEQ Level:
- Taught in:
- Full Year
This module aims to develop a solid elementary level of competence in both productive (speaking/writing) and receptive skills (reading/ listening) in Japanese. Besides the four skills mentioned above, acquiring mediation skills (translation to and from Japanese/English) and some knowledge of cultural issues in relation to uses of the language also form part of the module requirements. At the end of the module, students should be able to handle basic materials in Japanese. This module is only available to students on MA ... and Intensive Language (Japanese).
No prior knowledge of Japanese was required when you applied to SOAS. However, from the first day of the teaching term, you will need to be able to read and write the hiragana and katakana scripts. You will be given guidance about using and writing Japanese scripts in class, but memorizing Hiragana and Katakana before you arrive at SOAS will give your studies a great boost. Even if you have some previous knowledge of written Japanese, please revise and consolidate your knowledge before you arrive.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
On successful completion of this module a student will be expected to have:
- knowledge and understanding of elementary Japanese grammar
- knowledge and understanding of a basic range of Japanese vocabulary
- knowledge and understanding of the appropriateness of a basic range of Japanese structures and expressions in a given context
- the ability to understand and to produce passages written in Japanese of short length on everyday situations
- the ability to understand spoken Japanese and to engage in basic spoken discourse on everyday situations
- the ability to translate from and to Japanese of short length with use of appropriate language on everyday situations
Total taught hours: 160 hours. 4 hours of lectures and 4 hour of tutorials per week for 20 weeks.
Independent study: 440 hours
Total hours for module: 600 hours
Scope and syllabus
This module is designed for students who have no or limited knowledge about Japanese language. It is an integrated introduction to modern Japanese which aims to develop basic speaking, listening, reading, writing and mediation (translation to and from Japanese/English) skills.
The module covers two to three textbook lessons from the textbook 'Minna no Nihongo'.
Method of assessment
One three-hour written examination taken in May/June (50% each); continuous assessment (10%); listening and oral tests (10%); language learning portfolio (20%).
One three-hour written examination taken in May/June (50% each); continuous assessment including regular tests and assignments (10%); one review test (10%); listening and orals tasks (10%); portfolio (20%).
For MA intensive elementary Japanese 1, we will be using the following two textbooks in class from Term 1 Week 1, so please purchase them in advance before the course begins:
1. Minnano Nihongo Shokyu Vol.1 Textbook with CD (2nd edition).
2. Minnano Nihongo Shokyu Vol.1 Translation & Grammatical notes.(2nd edition).
Textbooks can be purchased from the website of JP Books in London: