Dissertation for MA Global Cinemas
- Module Code:
- FHEQ Level:
- Taught in:
- Full Year
A Dissertation of 9,000-10,000 words (excluding bibliography, appendices, etc., but including footnotes) is a required element of the MA Global Cinemas. The topic of the dissertation is left to students to decide according to their interests and subject to the agreement of their supervisor. The dissertation should show an appropriate command of Film and Screen Studies theory and the relevant literature, as well as the capacity to apply this to the topic in question. This will normally relate to the "major region" , but may instead deal with a theoretical or comparative topic.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
On successful completion of the Dissertation the student will have:
- Demonstrated their capacity to carry out a substantial piece of academic research on a selected topic in the field of Global Cinemas.
- Defined a topic for examination and articulated a coherent scheme for examining the topic.
- Gathered the relevant information and analysed and presented this information in a way which satisfactorily assesses the topic.
Students are allocated a dissertation supervisor mid-way through the second term. Students can expect six hours substantive supervision with the allocated supervisor (including a couple of meetings in a small group, as well as individual meetings). The role of the supervisor is to assist the student in reaching an agreed topic of research, to approve the plan of work, help the student with any problems that may arise, advise on sources etc. The supervisor may read and comment on early or partial drafts of the dissertation, provided these are submitted according to the timetable set out below, but not on the final draft. Further guidance on the role of the dissertation supervisor is set out in the School of Arts Guidelines.
Method of assessment
- One 300-word summary/abstract of dissertation research project (worth 5%) - due Week Nine of Term 2
- One 700-word annotated bibliography (worth 9%) - due Week Six of Term 3
- One dissertation of 9,000-10,000 words submitted by the School Dissertation deadline (worth 86%) - due in September