Japanese 1 A (PG)
- Module Code:
- FHEQ Level:
- Year of study:
- Taught in:
- Term 1
In this module, students will learn how to communicate in very simple Japanese on concrete and familiar everyday topics. Both spoken and written Japanese will be taught from the very first day.
On completion of this module, students should be able to convey very simple information about themselves, their family and friends, their belongings etc., and ask questions about others. They will also learn to socialise with Japanese-speaking people in familiar everyday contexts.
From the beginning, they will be exposed to Japanese cultures as reflected in various situations and expressions used therein. This will also enable them to deepen their understanding of their own cultures and develop intercultural awareness.
No previous knowledge of Japanese is required. However, students will benefit from learning Hiragana and Katakana before the first day of teaching. You may find the following websites useful.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
On successful completion of this module a student will
- understand, when uttered clearly, simple statements on familiar topics or immediate concrete surroundings
- can use simple phrases and sentences to describe themselves, their family and friends
- ask and answer simple questions in areas of immediate need or on very familiar topics
- read words/simple sentences and short passages on familiar everyday topics
- write simple notes, messages and short passages on familiar everyday topics
Total of 10 weeks teaching with 3 hours classroom contact per week in language classes.
Scope and syllabus
- Introducing yourself and people you know
- Inviting a friend for a leisure activity
- Talking about your day
- Writing a text message to a friend
- Writing an invitation email to a friend
Method of assessment
In class test of 40 minutes duration (30%);
In class test of 60 minutes duration (70%).
Core texts are all held in library, students will be informed of any necessary text books in introductory materials.