Preliminary Law, Legal Reasoning and Legal Methods
- Module Code:
- FHEQ Level:
- Taught in:
- Term 1
SOAS Law School offers an intensive two-week preliminary online module in Law and Legal Method which is taught in September.
The purpose of this module is to provide students wishing to study law at a post-graduate level in the University of London with an introduction to law, legal method and associated skills and techniques. It is designed primarily for those who do not already possess a law degree, but may also be of interest to those who feel they want to get used to studying law in a UK institution, or acclimatise themselves to life in London.
The module is compulsory for those students taking one of the MA programmes in the School of Law at SOAS unless they gain a specific exemption from the MA Programme Convener, Dr. Nada Ali and Dr. Kanika Sharma.
It is not compulsory for those registering for the LLM programme or other Masters programmes at SOAS. However, those students proposing to enrol on the LLM who do not have a law degree from a common law country should consider registering for the preliminary moduleas this would ease their adaptation to the study of law in a Common law country or of many areas of commercial or international law.
The Preliminary module runs over a two-week period immediately before the week of registration. Classes are held on a daily basis in the morning and afternoon of each week. The module is designed to provide:
- a general introduction to UK, legal theory and international law;
- an introduction to a core area of English and Welsh Law;
- training in legal methods & legal skills;
- training in research techniques and study skills;
- an introduction of the use of on-line, and other electronic, resources;
- an introduction on how best to use library resources at SOAS and elsewhere in London;
- visits to places of legal interest where appropriate.
There is no formal assessment for this module, but attendance is compulsory for those wishing to register on the MA programmes in the School of Law at SOAS.
For reference please see the 2021 timetable, available in the 'Downloads' section to the right. The 2021 schedule will be available by the end of the 2021 summer. Please note that this schedule is provisional and changes may be made.
The preliminary module fee for 2021/22 is £350.
For MA in Law students, the fee will be included in your Masters Programme tuition fee.
Students on LLM or other Masters Programmes (in or outside SOAS) can pay via the SOAS online store. Please make your payment here.
Those who are not studying a postgraduate degree with SOAS, School of Law will need to bring the receipt on the first day so that your library cards may be provided.
If you have any queries regarding this module, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
- To outline the major points of UK, international and comparative law;
- To show an understanding of legal methods and related skills;
- To access and use on-line and other resources to conduct research;
- To show an understanding of research techniques and study skills for professionals.