Analysing World Music: Transcription & Analysis in Ethnomusicology
- Module Code:
- FHEQ Level:
- Taught in:
- Term 2
Practical experience of ethnomusicological transcription and analysis and an introduction to their theoretical aspects.
Class meetings will be divided between discussion of these exercises and of selected items or themes in the prescribed literature.
- Students enrol via the online Module Sign-Up system. Students are advised of the timing of this process via email by the Faculty Office.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
Techniques of transcription, including use of selected computer aids;
Issues discussed and skills acquired include:
- selected analytical techniques
- applicability of score-based analysis to orally transmitted repertoires and to performance (including improvisation);
- relative merits of aural/manual and computer-based approaches;
- the perspective of the performer or listener.
- One hour Lecture, one hour Seminar
Method of assessment
- One 1 000 words essay (worth 30%)
- One 2 000 words essay (worth 70%)