Intermediate Arabic/English Translation Project (PG)
- Module Code:
- FHEQ Level:
- Taught in:
- Full Year
This is a closely supervised Arabic into English translation project for students enrolled in the two-year MA (discipline or subject area) and Intensive Arabic that complements and reenforces the language skills the students are acquiring in the co-requisite course, Arabic 2 Postgraduate. Students will choose with the help of the supervisor an Arabic text of approximately 10,000 words at the appropriate level and translate it into English, utilising, honing, reinforcing and supplementing students' knowledge of grammar, vocabularly, registers and styles of the Arabic language, bringing these forward from passive learning into active use.
This course must be taken 15PNMC382: Arabic 2 PG
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
At the end of the course, a student should be able to demonstrate:
- knowledge and understanding of intermediate Arabic grammar
- knowledge and understanding of a wide range of Arabic vocabulary
- knowledge and understanding of the appropriateness of a wide range of Arabic structures and expressions in a given context
- the ability to translate from Arabic with use of appropriate language on a specialized topic
This course will be taught over 22 weeks with 1 hour of project supervision per week.
Scope and syllabus
There will be no fixed syllabus. The choice of text for translation will be informed by the disciplinary interest of the student and guided by the supervisor, who will be the convenor of the co-requisite Arabic 2 PG.
Method of assessment
- A translation project of 10,000 words from Arabic into English to be submitted in term 3 (100%)
- The exact assessment deadline dates are published on the relevant module Moodle/BLE page