Higher Intermediate Arabic/English/Arabic Translation Project (PG)
- Module Code:
- FHEQ Level:
- Taught in:
- Full Year
This is a closely supervised Arabic into English translation project for students enrolled in the two-year MA (discipline or subject area) and Intensive Arabic that complements and re-enforces the language skills the students are acquiring in the co-requisite course, Advanced Standard Modern Arabic. Students will choose with the help of the supervisor one Arabic text of approximately 5000 words at the appropriate level and translate it into English, and one English text of approximately 5000 words at the appropriate level to translate into Arabic, utilising, honing, reenforcing and supplementing students' knowledge of grammar, vocabulary, registers and styles of the Arabic language, bringing these forward from passive learning into active use.
This course must be taken with 15PNMC402: Advanced Standard Modern Arabic
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
At the end of the course, a student should be able to demonstrate:
- knowledge and understanding of higher intermediate Arabic grammar
- knowledge and understanding of a wide range of Arabic vocabulary
- knowledge and understanding of the appropriateness of a wide range of Arabic structures and expressions in a given context
- the ability to translate from Arabic with use of appropriate language on a specialized topic
- the ability to translate into Arabic with use of appropriate language on a specialized topic
This course will be taught over 22 weeks with 1 hour of project supervision per week.
Scope and syllabus
There will be no fixed syllabus. The choice of texts for translation will be informed by the disciplinary interest of the student and guided by the supervisor, who will be the convenor of the co-requisite Advanced Standard Modern Arabic.
Method of assessment
A translation project undertaken in 2 parts. (Assignment 1): a translation from Arabic into English of 5,000 words to be submitted on day 5, week 1, term 3 (50%); (Assignment 2): a translation from English into Arabic of 5,000 words to be submitted on day 5, week 1, term 3 (50%).