Intensive Higher Intermediate Summer Arabic
- Module Code:
- Taught in:
- Full Year
The course provides teaching and learning of higher intermediate level Arabic language. It covers a wide variety of texts covering literature, politics, religion, science etc. Teaching will cover reading, analysing, writing listening and speaking, with focus on grammar, vocabulary, registers and styles at the higher intermediate level, using authentic Arabic material.
Either 15PNMC382: Arabic 2 PG
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
On successful completion of this course a student will be expected to be to demonstrate:
- Knowledge and understanding of higher intermediate Arabic grammar
- Knowledge and understanding of a substantial range of Arabic vocabulary
- Knowledge and understanding of a substantial range of Arabic texts
- Ability to produce written Arabic at a higher intermediate level
- Ability to understand and operate at a substantial range of Arabic registers
- Ability to communicate in Arabic at a higher intermediate level
- Knowledge and understanding of the role of language in general, and Arabic in particular, in language-based scholarship and research
This course will be taught over 8 weeks with 22 hour of classroom contact per week. This is a summer abroad course and the entire course will be run by Qasid Arabic Institute, Amman, Jordan.
Scope and syllabus
A graded internally-produced course book is provided to Qasid Arabic Institute to serve as the guidelines for their syllabus design and delivery. SOAS will closely monitor the syllabus and student progress.
Method of assessment
One three-hour written examination taken (60%); one oral examination of 40 minutes duration (20%); 2 x mid term tests of 2 hours duration each (20%).