Arabic 2 (PG)
- Module Code:
- FHEQ Level:
- Year of study:
- Taught in:
- Term 2
This is an Intermediate course in Modern Standard Arabic.The main emphasis is on mastering the basic structures of Modern Standard Arabic as a means of communication, particularly in relation to journalism, with equal emphasis on reading, writing, speaking and hearing.News broadcasts are introduced, and oral competence is developed through extensive use of media resources as well as in small-group conversation classes, where some elements of colloquial Arabic are also introduced.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
On sucessful completion of the module a student will be able to:
- Have a solid intermediate level of competence in both productive (speaking/writing) and receptive skills (reading/ listening) in Arabic
- Develop further knowledge of cultural issues in relation to uses of the language also form part of the course requirements
- Intermediate mastry of structures of Modern Standard Arabic as a means of written communication, particularly in relation to journalism
- Develop oral competence which is developed through extensive use of language laboratory facilities as well as in small-group conversation classes, where some elements of colloquial Arabic are also introduced
- To handle materials in Arabic and communicate in Arabic at beginnacquiring translation skills both to and from Arabic/English er's level.
- Acquire translation skills both to and frome Arabic and English.
This module is taught over 22 weeks with 10 hours of classroom contact per week.
Method of assessment
- 1 x 2hr mid term in class written and spoken test (30%)
- 1 x 2hr unseen written exam paper in May/June (40%)
- 1 x 30 min oral exam in May/June (30%)