Arabic 2 (PG)
- Module Code:
- FHEQ Level:
- Year of study:
- Year 1
- Taught in:
- Term 2
This is an intermediate course in Modern Standard Arabic. The main emphasis is on mastering the basic structures of Modern Standard Arabic as a means of communication, particularly in relation to journalism, with equal emphasis on reading, writing, speaking and hearing. News broadcasts are introduced, and oral competence is developed through extensive use of media resources as well as in small-group conversation classes, where some elements of colloquial Arabic are also introduced.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
On successful completion of the module a student will:
- have a solid intermediate level of competence in both productive (speaking/writing) and receptive (reading/ listening) skills in Arabic.
- develop further knowledge of cultural issues in relation to uses of the language, which also forms part of the course requirements.
- achieve an intermediate level of mastery of structures of Modern Standard Arabic as a means of written communication, particularly in relation to journalism.
- develop oral competence through extensive use of language laboratory facilities as well as in small-group conversation classes, where some elements of colloquial Arabic are introduced.
- be able to handle basic materials in Arabic and communicate at an intermediate level.
- acquire translation skills both to and from Arabic and English.
This module is taught over 22 weeks with 10 hours of classroom contact per week.
Method of assessment
Assessment for this module consists of:
- 1 x 90-minute end-of-term test (20%)
- 1 x 15-minute oral test (20%)
- 1 x 2-hour written exam (60%)