The Prose Literature And Culture Of The Haskalah
- Module Code:
- Module Not Running 2020/21
- Half course
Appropriate standard of competence in modern Hebrew and acceptance on to a host programme.
Two hours per week, jointly with the undergraduate class, and one hour Master's seminar, over eleven weeks.
Method of assessment
One two-hour written paper in May/June (70%); one 3500-4500 word essay to be submitted by the first day of Term 3 (30%).
- Katz, J.: Tradition and Crisis. 1961
- Graupe, Heinz Mosche: The Rise of Modern Judaism: An Intellectual History of German Jewry, 1650-1942. Huntington, NY
- Meyer, Michael A.: The Origins of the Modern Jew: Jewish Identity and European Culture in Germany, 1749-1824
- Meyer, Michael A.: Response to Modernity: A History of the Reform Movement in Judaism. 1988
- Patterson, D.: A Phoenix in Fetters. 1988
- Patterson, D.: The Hebrew Novel in Czarist Russia. 1964, 1999
- Patterson, D.: Abraham Mapu. 1964
- Perl, Joseph: Revealer of Secrets: The First Hebrew Novel
- Pelli, Moshe: The Age of Haskalah: Studies in Hebrew Literature of the Enlightenment in Germany. Studies in Judaism in Modern Times, 5. Leiden
- Rabinovitch, I.: Major Trends in Modern Hebrew Fiction. 1968