Practical Translation Turkish to English (PG)
- Module Code:
- FHEQ Level:
- Year of study:
- Taught in:
- Full Year
This module aims to enhance and structure students' practical skills in translation from Turkish to English, as well as provide them with an intellectual perspective on the activity of translation. The emphasis is mainly on advanced translation skills from English into Turkish. Students study a variety of texts including literary, fictional, journalistic and biographical prose
Students must have advanced level of language proficiency in both Turkish and English
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
On successful completion of this module a student will be able to:
- Demonstrate developed skills in translating between English and Turkish, ensuring that the end product is cohesive, effective, and appropriate to the nature of the source text.
- Assess and analyse the nature and features of varieties of source texts, and demonstrate these skills through commentary on their translation choices and strategy.
- Assess, discuss and critique translated texts in English and Turkish, pointing out the difficulties and issues that face translators of these texts in terms of specific issues and overall translation strategy.
- Students will develop intellectual perspectives on the activity of translation and expand topic-based vocabulary.
- By the end of the course, students will be able to demonstrate ability in handling texts, including literary, academic, political, journalistic and biographical texts with confidence.
This module will be taught over 10 weeks with 1 hour lecture and 1 hour seminar per week.
Scope and syllabus
There is no set syllabus for this module. Texts will cover a core range of genres and text styles. It will include on-going discussion of the process and techniques of translation, from English into Turkish, close examination of the nature and features of different genres and varieties of texts, and exploration of the relevant translation strategies to adopt with them, both in class and during independent study. The module involves intensive practical translation, the application of translation theory to texts, and critique and assessment of pre-existing translations.
The order and levels of the text types studied will be flexible and tailored to the needs of the students.
Method of assessment
A translation project of 1,000 words (30%); a translation project of 2,000 words (70%).