Turkish 2 B (PG)
- Module Code:
- FHEQ Level:
- Year of study:
- Taught in:
- Term 2
The module provides students with intermediate knowledge of Turkish and practice of using Turkish in a variety of everyday and more specialised situations, including the understanding and expression of opinions and different points of view. Texts for study are selected from newspapers and magazines, scholarly articles and literary works (short stories and excerpts from novels). The course prepares students to interact with Turkish speakers in Turkish and to use original Turkish language sources within the level covered in the course. This provides students with a basis to use primary sources in Turkish to research various aspects of Turkish language, history and culture.
Prerequisite: Turkish 2A or equivalent
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
At the end of the module, a student should be able to demonstrate:
- knowledge and understanding of intermediate Turkish grammar
- knowledge and understanding of a wide range of Turkish vocabulary
- knowledge and understanding of the appropriateness of a wide range of Turkish structures and expressions in a given context
- the ability to understand and to produce passages written in Turkish of medium length on everyday and some specialized topics
- the ability to understand spoken Turkish and to engage in short spoken discourse on everyday and some specialized topics
- the ability to translate from and to Turkish of medium length with use of appropriate language on everyday and some specialized topics
Total of 10 weeks teaching with 4 hours classroom contact per week in language classes.
Method of assessment
A two-hour written exam (60%); in class presentation (15 minutes) 20%; a mid term test (1 hour) 20%.