- Module Code:
- Module Not Running 2019/20
- 15 Credits
- Year of study:
- Year 1
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
Though lectures, critical reading, and informed discussion, this module will enable students to:
- Gain knowledge on major theoretical traditions and debates in the international security field
- Identify and analyze key security policy challenges and opportunities in the Asia-Pacific region
- Assess the applicability of various concepts and theoretical traditions to explain concrete developments in Asian security
- Write analytically with regard to security issues in Asia
Scope and syllabus
This postgraduate module will examine some of the major issues of Asian security by linking theory and practice. Various theoretical traditions and arguments will be applied to concrete problems of Asian security, and concrete problems of Asian security will be analyzed for their general theoretical implications. Readings and seminar discussions will involve a mix of political science and policy analysis to encourage intellectual synergy between these two modes of inquiry.
Method of assessment
- One 5000 word essay constituting 100% of overall grade.