Hindi Language 1 (PG)
- Module Code:
- Taught in:
- Full Year
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
At the end of the module, a student should be able to demonstrate…
- knowledge and understanding of basic Hindi grammar
- knowledge and understanding of essential Hindi vocabulary
- knowledge and understanding of the appropriateness of basic Hindi structures and expressions in a given context
- the ability to understand short passages in written Hindi on everyday topics
- the ability to produce short passages in written Hindi on everyday topics
- the ability to understand spoken Hindi on everyday topics
- the ability to engage in short spoken discourse on everyday topics
- knowledge and understanding of the role of language in general, and Hindi in particular, in language-based scholarship and research (specific learning outcome for PG students)
Total of 20 weeks teaching with 4 hours classroom contact per week in language classes.
Scope and syllabus
The module provides an introduction to Hindi language with emphasis on practical written and spoken Hindi. Communicative practice is established through learning language around dialogues dealing with a range of everyday situations, including travelling, buying and selling, and family life.
The module provides students with a basic knowledge of Hindi and practice of using Hindi in a variety of everyday situations. It allows students to interact with Hindi speakers in Hindi and to use original Hindi language sources within the level covered in the module. This provides students with a basis to approach research topics relating to Hindi language and the histories, societies and cultures associated with Hindi.
Method of assessment
One three-hour written examination taken in May/June (40%); a 2000-word portfolio of marked homework, translation or essay agreed with the convenor (30%); an oral examination of 15 minutes taken in May/June (20%); 1 hour classroom test (5%); 1 hour classroom test (5%).
The module will be based on:
Snell, Rupert. 2011. Complete Hindi. London, Hodder Education
Additional materials will be made available throughout the module.