Hindi Language 2 (PG)
- Module Code:
- FHEQ Level:
- Taught in:
- Full Year
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
At the end of the module, a student should be able to demonstrate…
- knowledge and understanding of intermediate Hindi grammar
- knowledge and understanding of a wide range of Hindi vocabulary
- knowledge and understanding of the appropriateness of a wide range of Hindi structures and expressions in a given context
- the ability to understand passages in written Hindi of medium length on everyday and some specialised topics
- the ability to produce passages in written Hindi of medium length on everyday and some specialised topics
- the ability to understand spoken Hindi of medium complexity on everyday and some specialised topics
- the ability to engage in short spoken discourse of medium complexity on everyday and some specialised topics
Total of 22 weeks teaching with 4 hours classroom contact per week in language classes.
Scope and syllabus
The module provides teaching and learning of intermediate level Hindi language with emphasis on practical written and spoken Hindi. It covers complex points of word and sentence structure as well as textual relations in Hindi writing and discourse. Communicative practice and structural knowledge is established through reading and discussing a variety of Hindi texts dealing with different topics and of different length and complexity.
The module provides students with intermediate knowledge of Hindi and practice of using Hindi in a variety of everyday and more specialised situations, including the understanding and expression of opinions and different points of view. It allows students to interact with Hindi speakers in Hindi and to use original Hindi language sources within the level covered in the course. This provides students with a basis to approach research topics relating to Hindi language and the histories, societies and cultures associated with Hindi.
Method of assessment
- A portfolio of marked homework, equivalent to 800-1000 words to be submitted the last day of term 2 (10%)
- One end of term test (60 minutes) at the end of term 1 (20%)
- One presentation (10 minutes) in the week after Reading Week in term 2 (20%)
- One oral exam (15 minutes) in term 3 (20%)
- One final test (90 minutes) in week 2 of term 3 (30%)
The module will be based on:
Sharma, Naresh. 2018. Hindi Tutor: Grammar and Vocabulary Workbook. London: Hodder UK
Additional materials will be made available throughout the module.