Sanskrit Language 1 B (PG)
- Module Code:
- FHEQ Level:
- Year of study:
- Taught in:
- Term 2
This is a basic language acquisition module for students who have already studied the language 1A equivalent in the previous term, or who have equivalent knowledge. Students are therefore assumed to have some basic knowledge of the language or its script. This module develops knowledge of some of the several basic constructions of the language, enabling students to develop their skills in reading, writing, and comprehension. Successful students will gain the ability to read simple original texts and write simple sentences.
Successful completion of Sanskrit Language 1A (PG) - 15PSAH020 or equivalent knowledge.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
On successful completion of this module a student will:
- Gain knowledge and understanding of basic grammar
- Gain knowledge and understanding of essential vocabulary
- Gain knowledge and understanding of the appropriateness of basic structures and expressions in a given context
- Demonstrate the ability to understand sentences and short passages in written language on certain everyday topics
- Demonstrate the ability to produce sentences in written language on certain everyday topics
- Demonstrate the ability to produce sentences in spoken language on certain everyday topics
- Demonstrate the ability to understand spoken sentences on certain everyday topics
Total of 10 weeks teaching with 4 hours classroom contact per week in language classes.
Method of assessment
- One mid term test (40 minutes) taken in week 4 of term 2, (20%)
- One oral examination (15 minutes) taken in May/June (20%)
- One two-hour written examination taken in May/June (60%)