Hindi Language 1 B (PG)
- Module Code:
- FHEQ Level:
- Year of study:
- Taught in:
- Term 2
This is a beginners module for students who have some previous basic knowledge of the language and its script equivalent to a level attained in the Hindi 1A (PG) module.
The module covers all the major tenses and significant grammatical constructions of the language, enabling successful students to develop their skills in reading, writing, comprehension and speaking. Successful students will gain the ability to use a wide range of grammatical constructions and tenses, acquire vocabulary on a variety of every day topics, read and write short texts, and communicate in a number of practical situations.
Successful completion of Hindi Language 1 A (PG) - 15PSAH022 or equivalent knowledge.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
On successful completion of this module a student will be able to:
- Gain knowledge and understanding of commonly used Hindi grammar.
- Gain knowledge and understanding of Hindi vocabulary related to a range of everyday topics.
- Gain greater knowledge and understanding of the appropriateness of basic Hindi structures and expressions in a given context.
- Demonstrate the ability to understand passages in written Hindi on everyday topics.
- Demonstrate the ability to produce short passages in written Hindi on everyday topics.
- Demonstrate the ability to understand spoken sentences and short passages in Hindi on everyday topics.
- Demonstrate the ability to engage in short spoken discourse on everyday topics.
Total of 10 weeks teaching with 4 hours classroom contact per week
Scope and syllabus
- Discussing everyday events in more detail.
- Describing events that occurred in the past.
- Talk about future plans.
- Making conditional statements using ‘if… then…’
- Expressing doubt and uncertainty.
- Expressing nuances and forming complex sentences with relative clauses.
- Using more complex grammatical structures such as the passive and obligation constructions.
Method of assessment
One mid term test (60 minutes) in term 2 (30%)
One end of term test (60 minutes) in term 2 (30%)
One final presentation (10 minutes) in term 3 (20%)
One oral exam (15 minutes) in term 3 (20%)
- The exact assessment deadline dates are published on the relevant module Moodle/BLE page
- Bhatia, Tej. 2008. Colloquial Hindi. London, Routledge
- McGregor, R.S. 1997. The Oxford Hindi-English. Oxford, OUP
- McGregor, R.S., 1999. Outline of Hindi Grammar. Oxford: Oxford University Press
- Jain, Usha R. 1995. Introduction to Hindi Grammar. Berkeley, University of California.
- Sharma, Naresh. 2018. Hindi Tutor. London, Hodder UK
- Snell & Weightman. 2010. Complete Hindi. London, Hodder Education
- Snell, Rupert. 2010. Get Started in Hindi. London, Hodder Education