Vietnamese Language 1 (PG)
- Module Code:
- Taught in:
- Full Year
PLEASE NOTE: This module will be divided into two 15-credit modules next academic year (i.e Language A and Language B). The overall objectives and outcomes for the year will not change. There may be some slight changes to the formal assessment. Students will be required to take a written test in the last week of Term 1 and should therefore not plan to be absent from SOAS at this time.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
At the end of the module, a student should be able to demonstrate…
- knowledge and understanding of basic Vietnamese grammar
- knowledge and understanding of essential Vietnamese vocabulary
- knowledge and understanding of the appropriateness of basic Vietnamese structures and expressions in a given context
- the ability to understand short passages in written Vietnamese on everyday topics
- the ability to produce short passages in written Vietnamese on everyday topics
- the ability to understand spoken Vietnamese and to engage in short spoken discourse on everyday topics
Total of 20 weeks teaching with 4 hours classroom contact per week in language classes.
Scope and syllabus
This module provides an introduction to Vietnamese language. Communicative practice is established through learning language around dialogues dealing with a range of everyday situations, including travelling, buying and selling, and urban and rural family life.
It provides students with a basic knowledge of Vietnamese and practice of using Vietnamese in a variety of everyday situations. It allows students to interact with Vietnamese speakers in Vietnamese and to use original Vietnamese language sources within the level covered in the course. This provides students with a basis to approach research topics relating to Vietnamese language and the histories, societies and cultures associated with Vietnamese.
Method of assessment
One three-hour written examination paper taken in May/June (50%); a 2,000-word portfolio of marked homework, translation or essay agreed with the convenor to be submitted in week 1, term 3 (30%); 1 oral examination of 15 minutes duration taken in May/June (15%); regular coursework throughout the course (5%).
- Vietnamese language 1 Course Materials, London, SOAS
- Healy, D.2003. Teach Yourself Vietnamese. London: Hodder Headline
- additional materials which will be made available throughout the module.