Vietnamese Language 2 (PG)
- Module Code:
- Module Not Running 2020/2021
- FHEQ Level:
- Taught in:
- Full Year
Vietnamese language to required entry level
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
At the end of the module, a student should be able to demonstrate…
- knowledge and understanding of intermediate Vietnamese grammar
- knowledge and understanding of a wide range of Vietnamese vocabulary
- knowledge and understanding of the appropriateness of a wide range of Vietnamese structures and expressions in a given context
- the ability to understand passages in written Vietnamese of medium length on everyday and some specialised topics
- the ability to produce passages in written Vietnamese of medium length on everyday and some specialised topics
- the ability to understand spoken Vietnamese and to engage in spoken discourse of medium complexity on everyday and some specialised topics
Total of 20 weeks teaching with 4 hours classroom contact per week in language classes.
Scope and syllabus
This module provides teaching and learning of intermediate level Vietnamese language. It covers complex points of word and sentence structure as well as textual relations in Vietnamese writing and discourse. Communicative practice and structural knowledge is established through reading and discussing a variety of Vietnamese texts dealing with different topics and of different length and complexity.
The module provides students with intermediate knowledge of Vietnamese and practice of using Vietnamese in a variety of everyday and more specialised situations, including the understanding and expression of opinions and different points of view. It allows students to interact with Vietnamese speakers in Vietnamese and to use original Vietnamese language sources within the level covered in the module. This provides students with a basis to approach research topics relating to Vietnamese language and the histories, societies and cultures associated with Vietnamese.
Method of assessment
One three-hour written examination taken in May/June (70%); one 20 minute oral examination (20%); in class tests throughout the module (10%).
- Healy, D., Intermediate Vietnamese Course Materials, London, SOAS
- additional materials which will be made available throughout the module.