Thai Language 1 (PG)
- Module Code:
- Taught in:
- Full Year
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
At the end of the module, a student should be able to demonstrate…
- Knowledge and understanding of basic Thai grammar
- Knowledge and understanding of basic Thai vocabulary
- Knowledge and understanding of basic phonology of Thai
- Knowledge and understanding of basic sociolinguistic aspects of Thai, such as polite particles, levels of vocabulary and pronominal strategies
- Knowledge and understanding of the Thai script
- Ability to understand simple spoken Thai and converse on simple everyday topics
- Ability to read and translate into English short passages and dialogues written in Thai
- Ability to translate simple sentences from English to Thai, using correct grammar and spelling
This module is taught over 20 weeks with 4 hours classroom contact per week in language classes.
Scope and syllabus
The syllabus consists of a carefully structured module which provides a systematic introduction (a) to the basic grammar and vocabulary needed for conversing in everyday situations, to the writing system.
Method of assessment
One three-hour written examination taken in May/June (50%); a 2,000-word portfolio of marked homework, translation or essay agreed with the convenor to be submitted on day 1, term 3 (30%); an oral examination of 15 minutes duration (15%); in class tests throughout the module (5%).