Burmese Language and Texts (PG)
- Module Code:
- FHEQ Level:
- Taught in:
- Full Year
155900997: Burmese Language 2 (or equivalent knowledge).
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
On successful completion of this module a student will be expected to have:
- a knowledge and understanding of Burmese grammar at an advanced level
- a knowledge and understanding of a wide range of Burmese vocabulary
- a knowledge and understanding of the appropriateness of a wide range of Burmese structures and expressions in a given context
- the ability to understand passages in written Burmese of extended length on a wide range of topics
- the ability to produce passages in written Burmese of medium length on everyday and some specialised topics
- the ability to understand spoken Burmese and to engage in spoken discourse of medium complexity on everyday and some specialised topics
This course will be taught over 20 weeks with 3 hours classroom contact per week in language classes.
Scope and syllabus
Burmese Language and Texts is intended to develop language skills and at the same time enhance the student’s understanding of Burmese culture and values through the study of a range of contemporary texts and recorded audio material, which can often be selected to reflect students' particular interests. In addition students have regular practice in Burmese language conversation with a native speaker of Burmese.
Method of assessment
One three-hour written examination taken in May/June (60%); one 20 minute oral examination (20%); a 1000 word essay in Burmese to be submitted on day 1, week 1, term 3 (10%); four assessed classroom or homework tasks taken in weeks 5 and 11, term 1, and in weeks 5 and 11, term 2 (total 10%)
No core reading list required beyond materials provided in class for Burmese Language and Texts.
Useful reference texts include:
- Cunningham, Nance, and Aung Soe Min. Burmese-English English-Burmese dictionar. Βanɡkokː Paiboon. 2009.
- Myanmar Language Commission. Myanmar-English Dictionary. Dunwoody Pr, 1996.
- Okell, John, and Anna Joan Allott. Burmese/Myanmar dictionary of grammatical forms. Routledge, 2001.
- Okell, John. A Guide to the Romanization of Burmese. Luzac [for] The Royal Asiatic Society of Great Britain and Ireland, 1971.