Christians and Muslims in Syriac Texts
- Module Code:
- Module Not Running 2017/2018
- Year of study:
- Taught in:
- Full Year
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
On successful completion of the course a student should be able to demonstrate the ability to:
- Mastery of all tools needed for tackling Syriac texts, i.e. looking up roots, parsing words, philological analysis.
- Experience of reading moderately difficult Syriac texts.
- Able to translate moderately difficult Syriac texts (into English).
Two hour lecture; one hour seminar per week.
Scope and syllabus
The course will provide a training in:
- Syriac palaeography.
- Syriac grammar
- Syriac semantics
- Use of reference tools: e.g. advanced Syriac dictionaries to develop philological skills
Method of assessment
One presentation (worth 10%); three take home assignments (worth 30%); one three hour exam (worth 50%), one essay - 1,500 words (worth 10%).