Arabic 6 A (PG)
- Start date
- End date
- Year of study
- Term 1
- Module code
- FHEQ Level
The module provides teaching and learning of advanced level Arabic language. It covers a wide variety of texts in topics such as literature, politics, religion, science, etc. Teaching will cover reading, analysing, writing, listening and speaking.
There will be a series of special postgraduate lectures with associated seminars structured around the six themes of structure, texts, identity, society, translation and transformation (provided for PG students studying different languages). These will introduce students to general questions of the role of language in language-based scholarship and research, and will provide them with the critical and methodological skills to relate their language acquisition to the thematic aspects of the study.
This is a high advanced language acquisition module.
Arabic 5B (PG) or equivalent.
This module will be taught over 10 weeks with 5 hours classroom contact per week.
Scope and syllabus
At the end of the module, a student should be able to demonstrate:
- knowledge and understanding of advanced Arabic grammar.
- knowledge and understanding of a wide range of Arabic vocabulary.
- knowledge and understanding of a wide range of Arabic texts.
- the ability to produce written Arabic at an advanced level.
- the ability to understand and operate within a wide range of Arabic registers.
- the ability to communicate in Arabic at an advanced level.
Method of assessment
Assessment for this module consists of:
- 30% mid-term test, 2 hours
- 70% end-of-term test. 2 hours
- The exact assessment deadline dates are published on the relevant module Moodle/BLE page.
Important notice regarding changes to programmes and modules