Burmese Language 1 B (PG)
- Module not running
- Module code
- FHEQ Level
- South East Asia Section
This is a language acquisition module for students who have already studied the Language A equivalent in the previous term, or who have equivalent knowledge. Students are therefore assumed to have some basic knowledge of the language or its script.
This module develops knowledge of several basic constructions of the language, enabling students to develop their skills in reading, writing, comprehension and speaking. Successful students will gain the ability to read and write simple texts, and communicate on everyday topics. Emphasis will be placed on good pronunciation and on the social and linguistic conventions of everyday conversation.
Successful completion of Burmese Language 1A (PG) - 15PSEH022 or equivalent knowledge.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
On successful completion of this module a student will:
- Gain knowledge and understanding of basic grammar
- Gain knowledge and understanding of essential vocabulary
- Gain knowledge and understanding of the appropriateness of basic structures and expressions in a given context
- Demonstrate the ability to understand sentences and short passages in written language on certain everyday topics
- Demonstrate the ability to produce sentences in written language on certain everyday topics
- Demonstrate the ability to produce sentences in spoken language on certain everyday topics
- Demonstrate the ability to understand spoken sentences on certain everyday topics
Total of 10 weeks teaching with 4 hours classroom contact per week in language classes.
Method of assessment
- One mid term test (40 minutes) taken in week 4 of term 2, (20%)
- One oral examination (15 minutes) taken in May/June (20%)
- One two-hour written examination taken in May/June (60%)
Core texts are all held in library, students will be informed of any necessary text books in introductory materials.