Ch 100: Elementary Chinese
- Start date
- End date
- Year of study
- Year 1 or Year 2
- Module code
- FHEQ Level
- China and Inner Asia Section
This module is designed for students who have no or limited knowledge of Chinese language. It is an integrated beginners module to introduce modern Chinese and aims at developing basic speaking, listening, reading, writing and translation skills.
This is the core year 1 introduction modern language module for BA Chinese/BA Chinese and XXX and can also be taken as the Year 1 core language option on the BA East Asian Studies programme.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
On successful completion of this module a student will be expected to have:
- knowledge and understanding of elementary Chinese grammar
- knowledge and understanding of over 850 of Chinese characters
- knowledge and understanding a good range of Chinese structures and expressions in a given context
- the ability to understand and to produce passages written in Chinese of short length on everyday situations
- the ability to understand spoken Chinese and to engage in basic spoken discourse on everyday situations
- the ability to translate from and to Chinese of short length with use of appropriate language on everyday situations
Total 22 weeks of teaching with 8 hours of class contact per week made up of 4 hours of lectures and 4 hours tutorials per week.
Scope and syllabus
There are grammar introductory classes, tutorials, drill and conversation classes. The written language is first studied in the traditional full form characters, simplified forms being phased in during the second term.
Method of assessment
One three-hour written examination (50%) taken in May/June; a 15 minute oral test (10%); a 30 minute listening test (10%); homework (10%); 4 x 1 hour in class tests (5% each) (20%).
Important notice regarding changes to programmes and modules