Chinese 1 A
- Start date
- End date
- Year of study
- Term 1
- Module code
- FHEQ Level
- China and Inner Asia Section
This is a basic introductory language acquisition module for absolute beginners in the written and spoken language; students are not assumed to have any previous knowledge of the language or its script. The module covers several basic constructions of the language, enabling students to acquire basic skills in reading, writing, comprehension and speaking. Successful students will gain the ability to read and write short simple texts, and communicate on simple everyday topics. Emphasis will be placed on good pronunciation and on the social and linguistic conventions of everyday conversation.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
On successful completion of this module a student will:
- Gain knowledge and understanding of basic grammar
- Gain knowledge and understanding of essential vocabulary
- Gain knowledge and understanding of the appropriateness of basic structures and expressions in a given context
- Demonstrate the ability to understand sentences and short passages in written language on certain everyday topics
- Demonstrate the ability to produce sentences in written language on certain everyday topics
- Demonstrate the ability to produce sentences in spoken language on certain everyday topics
- Demonstrate the ability to understand spoken sentences on certain everyday topics
Total of 10 weeks teaching with 3 hours classroom contact per week in a two hour lecture and one hour tutorial.
Method of assessment
A mid term test (week 5, term 1) of 40 minutes duration (30%); an end of term test (final week of term 1) of 60 minutes duration (70%).
Core texts are all held in library, students will be informed of any necessary text books in introductory materials
Important notice regarding changes to programmes and modules