Cultural Intelligence and Global Business Communication
- Start date
- End date
- Year of study
- Year 1
- Term 2
- Module code
- FHEQ Level
- School of Finance and Management
Cultural intelligence is the ability for people, organizations, and businesses to relate to culturally diverse situations and work effectively in them. It has become a vital aspect to international businesses. Working with people effectively requires different cultural approach and ability to get well in the international teams and global collaboration.
International business managers and leaders do need to have the resources, knowledge, and talents of cultural intelligence. This module therefore is designed to develop cultural intelligence through a highly practical approach to enhance interpersonal and intercultural communication skills for future career in international teams and global business environment.
The body of the module examines the fundamental concepts of cultural, assesses the impact of cultural values in intercultural business environment and explores the the impact of cultural difference on international team effectiveness, business negotiations, communication, and personal presentation.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
In general, the course aims to:
- Develop an understanding of how cultural factors can influence management decision-making;
- Develop skills in identifying when culture is an influence in any one event, and when not;
- Responding appropriately when culture is an influence
- Develop an understanding of culture, cultural differences, cultural values, beliefs and assumptions.
- Appreciate the benefits and potential challenges to effective intercultural communication.
- Develop an understanding of cross-cultural issues in different forms of communication – verbal, non-verbal and professional
- Explore how cultural differences can impact on group effectiveness, negotiations, communication, and personal presentation and impression
- Develop cultural intelligence in managing cultural difference and diversity in international teams and international business environment
Important notice regarding changes to programmes and modules