- Start date
- End date
- Term 1
- Module code
- FHEQ Level
- School of Finance and Management
The business world has traditionally relied on accounting and finance practitioners to provide a summary of business performance in form of financial statements at regular intervals. Also, quantitative business intelligence has traditional being an important field in accounting and finance.
While these two roles continue to be important, there is marked change in their nature, frequency, and potentials given the exponential growth in unstructured data. Consistent with Moore's Law, there's also an exponential increase in computing power. The current business environment, therefore, requires managers to know data analysis and programming to make sense of the huge volume of data.
The module, therefore, complements other modules on the programme, such as financial accounting and financial statement analysis, management accounting, and applied econometrics.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
- Understand emerging trends in Big data and data analytics
- Understand the place of unstructured data and narratives in accounting and finance
- Understand the types and uses of analysis
- Understand and use basic Artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning tools
- Understand and use quantitative business analysis techniques such as decision tree analysis and simulation
Important notice regarding changes to programmes and modules