Indonesian Language 2
- Start date
- End date
- Year of study
- Year 2
- Module code
- FHEQ Level
- South East Asia Section
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
At the end of the module, a student should be able to demonstrate…
- knowledge and understanding of intermediate Indonesian grammar
- knowledge and understanding of a wide range of Indonesian vocabulary
- knowledge and understanding of the appropriateness of a wide range of Indonesian structures and expressions in a given context
- the ability to understand passages in written Indonesian of medium length on everyday and some specialised topics
- the ability to produce passages in written Indonesian of medium length on everyday and some specialised topics
- the ability to understand spoken Indonesian and to engage in spoken discourse of medium complexity on everyday and some specialised topics
Total of 22 weeks teaching with 4 hours classroom contact per week.
Scope and syllabus
This module aims to strengthen the competence achieved during the beginners’ module, with emphasis on the written style. Time is also given for oral and listening work, using a range of audio-visual materials including Indonesian films and documentaries. In addition to revising and strengthening understanding and application of grammatical structures learnt during the first year, further grammatical forms are introduced. Students will be introduced to Jakarta colloquialisms By the end of the year student should have a knowledge of around 2000 words.
Method of assessment
- 20% end-of-term assignment
- 30% mid-term oral presentation
20% practical skill oral assessment
- 30% end-of-term test
- Exact assessment deadline dates are published on the relevant module Moodle/BLE page.
- Kay Gwyllam & Jatni Rachmat, Bersama-sama Senior.
- J.N Sneddon, Indonesian: A Comprehensive Grammar.
- Yohanni Johns. .Bahasa Indonesia: book two langkah baru.
- Baca Yuk! https://indonesian- online.com/baca_yuk/
- Warung Sinema https://indonesian- online.com/warung-sinema/
- Echols, J.M. and H. Shadily (1989). An Indonesian-English Dictionary.
- Echols, J.M. and H. Shadily (1989). An English-Indonesian Dictionary.
Important notice regarding changes to programmes and modules