Intensive Elementary Korean
- Start date
- End date
- Module code
- FHEQ Level
The module provides an introduction to Korean language with emphasis on practical written and spoken Korean. Communicative practice is established through learning language around dialogues dealing with a range of everyday situations, including travelling, buying and selling, etc.
The module provides students with a basic knowledge of Korean and practice of using Korean in a variety of everyday situations. It allows students to interact with Korean speakers in Korea and to use original Korean language sources within the level covered in the module.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
At the end of the module, a student should be able to demonstrate…
- knowledge and understanding of basic Korean grammar
- knowledge and understanding of essential Korean vocabulary
- knowledge and understanding of the appropriateness of basic Korean structures and expressions in a given context
- the ability to understand short passages written in Korean on everyday topics
- the ability to produce short passages written in Korean on everyday topics
- the ability to understand spoken Korean and converse on everyday topics
Total taught hours : 160 hours. 4 hours of lecture and 4 hour tutorial per week for 20 weeks.
Independent study : 440 hours
Total hours for module : 600 hours
Method of assessment
- Three-hour written examination taken in May/June (50%)
- oral examination (10%)
- language learning portfolio (20%)
- 2 listening tests (10%)
- continuous assignments (10%)