Intensive Higher Advanced Summer Arabic (PG)
- Start date
- End date
- Module code
- FHEQ Level
The course provides teaching and learning of higher advanced level Arabic language. It covers a wide variety of texts covering literature, politics, religion, science etc. Teaching will cover reading, analysing, writing listening and speaking, with focus on grammar, vocabulary, registers and styles of Arabic at the Higher Advanced level, using authentic Arabic material.
15PNMC402: Advanced Standard Modern Arabic
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
On successful completion of this course a student will be expected to be able to:
- demonstrate a knowledge and understanding of higher advanced Arabic grammar
- demonstrate a knowledge and understanding of a substantial range of Arabic vocabulary
- demonstrate a knowledge and understanding of a substantial range of Arabic texts
- demonstrate an ability to produce written Arabic at a higher advanced level
- demonstrate an ability to understand and operate at a substantial range of Arabic registers
- demonstrate an ability to communicate in Arabic at a higher advanced level
- demonstrate a knowledge and understanding of the role of language in general, and Arabic in particular, in language-based scholarship and research
This course will be taught over 8 weeks with 22 hours classroom contact per week in language classes. This is a summer abroad course and the entire course will be run by Qasid Arabic Institute, Amman, Jordan.
Scope and syllabus
A graded internally-produced course book is provided to Qasid Arabic Institute to serve as the guidelines for their syllabus design and delivery. SOAS will closely monitor the syllabus and student progress.
Method of assessment
- one three-hour written examination (60%)
- one oral examination of 40 minutes duration (20%)
- 2 x mid term tests of 2 hours each (20%)
- The exact assessment deadline dates are published on the relevant module Moodle/BLE page