Intensive Intermediate Summer Arabic
- Start date
- End date
- Module code
- FHEQ Level
This is a summer abroad course and the entire course will be run by Qasid Arabic Institute, Amman, Jordan.
15PNMC413: Arabic 1 (PG) or equivalent
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
At the end of the course, a student should be able to demonstrate:
- knowledge and understanding of intermediate Arabic grammar
- knowledge and understanding of a wide range of Arabic vocabulary
- knowledge and understanding of the appropriateness of a wide range of Arabic structures and expressions in a given context
- the ability to understand and to produce passages written in Arabic of medium length on everyday and some specialized topics
- the ability to understand spoken Arabic and to engage in short spoken discourse on everyday and some specialized topics
- the ability to translate from and to Arabic of medium length with use of appropriate language on everyday and some specialized topics
Total of 8 weeks teaching with 22 hours classroom contact per week.
Scope and syllabus
A graded internally-produced course book is provided to Qasid Arabic Institute to serve as the guidelines for their syllabus design and delivery. SOAS will closely monitor the syllabus and student progress.
Method of assessment
- one three-hour written examination (60%)
- an oral examination of 40 minutes duration (20%)
- 2 mid term tests (20%)
- The exact assessment deadline dates are published on the relevant module Moodle/BLE page
The two mid-term examinations insure the steady progress of learning in reading and writing skills, and cumulative acquisition of grammar, vocabulary and translation skills. These will be administered by Qasid Arabic Institute.
The oral, listening and dictations examinations test their listening and speaking skills. This will be conducted by Qasid Arabic Institute.
The final examinations test the students in their cumulative knowledge of vocabulary and grammar, and their skills in reading, writing and translating. This will be administered by SOAS.