Intensive Thai Summer Abroad
- Module not running
- Module code
- FHEQ Level
- South East Asia Section
The course will be offered as a core component of the 24-month parent programme (MA XXX and Intensive Language). The intensive classroom environment and immersion experience of living and studying in Thailand is designed to facilitate the student’s ability to build fluency within the appropriate daily social and cultural contexts.
Thai Language 1A (PG) and Thai Language 1B (PG) or equivalent knowledge.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
On successful completion of this module, the student will have:
- knowledge and understanding of intermediate/higher intermediate Thai grammar
- knowledge and understanding of a wide range of Thai vocabulary
- knowledge and understanding of the appropriateness of a wide range of Thai structures and expressions in a given context
- the ability to understand passages written in Thai of medium length on every day and some specialised topics
- the ability to produce passages written in Thai on every day and some specialised topics
- the ability to understand spoken Thai and to engage in spoken discourse of medium complexity on every day and some specialised topics.
This module will be taught at a Thai language school. You will receive 15 hours per week to a total of 120 hours during your time abroad.
Scope and syllabus
- Intermediate/higher intermediate grammar.
- Vocabulary development
- Focus on langauge structure in a range of formal and informal contexts
- Development of reading skills
- Development of written skills
- Focus on spoken language formal and informal, in a ranged of contexts.
Method of assessment
An essay of 2000 words in Thai (75%); an oral examination of 15 minutes duration (25%).
Important notice regarding changes to programmes and modules