Intensive Vietnamese Summer Abroad
- Start date
- End date
- Year of study
- Module code
- FHEQ Level
- South East Asia Section
This module will be offered as a core component of the programme (MA XXX and Intensive Language). The intensive classroom environment and immersion experience of living and studying in Vietnam is designed to facilitate the student’s ability to build fluency within the appropriate daily social and cultural contexts.
15PSEC036: Vietnamese Langauge 1 (PG)
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
On successful completion of this module a student will be able to:
- knowledge and understanding of intermediate/higher intermediate Vietnamese grammar
- knowledge and understanding of a wide range of Vietnamese vocabulary
- knowledge and understanding of the appropriateness of a wide range of Vietnamese structures and expressions in a given context
- the ability to understand passages written in Vietnamese of medium length on every day and some specialised topics
- the ability to produce passages written in Vietnamese on every day and some specialised topics
- the ability to understand spoken Vietnamese and to engage in spoken discourse of medium complexity on every day and some specialised topics.
This module will be taught at a Burmese language school. You will receive 20 hours per week to a total of 120 hours during your time abroad.
Scope and syllabus
- Intermediate/higher intermediate grammar.
- Vocabulary development
- Focus on langauge structure in a range of formal and informal contexts
- Development of reading skills
- Development of written skills
- Focus on spoken language, formal and informal, in a ranged of contexts.
Method of assessment
An essay of 2000 words in Vietnamese (75%); an oral examination of 15 minutes duration (25%).