Japanese-English Translation (PG)
- Start date
- End date
- Term 2
- Module code
- FHEQ Level
- Department of Linguistics
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
The objective of this module is to help students acquire advanced translation skills in translation from Japanese to English. Students will be helped to develop intellectual perspectives on the activity of translation and expand topic-based vocabulary. By the end of the module, the students will be able to translate a variety of text-types including literary, academic, media, business and technical texts.
A total of 10 weeks teaching with two hours classroom contact per week consisting of a 1 hour lecture and 1 hour seminar.
Scope and syllabus
The module aims to familiarise students with the process and techniques of translating from Japanese into English, developing their skills to a high level of proficiency, and provide them with much practical experience of translation.
The module consists of 2 hours per week of translation from Japanese into English and commentary. Texts from various sources, including newspapers, magazines, the internet, government documents, and academic journals/books, and in various styles and genres (literary, academic, media, business and technical texts) will be assigned for class practice and homework.
The module will raise students’ awareness of issues relating to literal and free styles of translation, to targeted readership, to degree of formality, and to cultural implications. Classroom time will be divided between translation and discussion of translation choices made by students.
Method of assessment
Take-home translation assignment of 1000 words (20%); take-home translation assignment of 1000 words (20%); translation and commentary essay of 3000 words (60%).
- Baker, Mona (1992): In Other Words: A Coursebook on Translation . Abingdon, Oxon.: Routledge.
- Hasegawa, Yoko (2012): The Routledge Course in Japanese Translation . Abingdon, Oxon.: Routledge.
- Hirako, Yoshio (1999): 翻訳の原理 . Tokyo: Taishukan Shoten.
- Munday, Jeremy (2012): Introducing Translation Studies: Theories and Applications . Abingdon, Oxon.: Routledge.
- Naruse, Takeshi (1996): 英日・日英翻訳入門ー原文の解釈から訳文の構想まで . Tokyo: Kenkyusha.
- Refsing, Kristen & Lundquist, Lita (2009): Translating Japanese Texts . Copenhagen: Museum Tasculanum Press.
- Venuti, Lawrence (1995): The Translator's Invisibility . Abingdon, Oxon.: Routledge.