K100: Elementary Korean
- Start date
- End date
- Year of study
- Year 1
- Module code
- FHEQ Level
This first year module is an intensive introduction to modern Korean language. At the end of this module, students should have a good basic knowledge of spoken and written Korean language skills including phonetics, morphology, comprehension and translation from and into the language, reading of easy prose texts, elementary conversation.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
At the end of the module, a student should be able to demonstrate…
- knowledge and understanding of basic Korean grammar
- knowledge and understanding of essential Korean vocabulary
- knowledge and understanding of the appropriateness of basic Korean structures and expressions in a given context
- the ability to understand short passages in written Korean on everyday topics
- the ability to produce short passages in written Korean on everyday topics
- the ability to understand spoken Korean and to engage in short spoken discourse on everyday topics
Total of 22 weeks teaching with 8 hours classroom contact per week.
Method of assessment
One three-hour written examination taken in May/June (60%); one speaking exam (10%); two listening exams (10%); continuous assignments (20%).
- Elementary Korean. King & Yeon. Tuttle Publishing Co. Continuing Korean . King & Yeon. Tuttle Publishing Co.
Important notice regarding changes to programmes and modules