Persian 2 B (PG)
- Start date
- End date
- Year of study
- Term 2
- Module code
- FHEQ Level
The module provides for the teaching and learning of upper-intermediate level Persian language with emphasis on practical as well as nuianced written and spoken Persian. The course introduces complex sentence structures including conditional sentences, as well as more use of abstract or technical terminology in Persian writing and discourse.
By the end of this module students should be able to relate detailed experiences, as well as discuss and understand concrete and abstract topics, in both spoken and written language with ease and confidence. Furthermore, they should be able to interact with native speakers of Persian with a degree of fluency and spontaneityon topics of work, specialised social and cultural interest.
Consolidating students structural knowledge of the written and spoken language at upper-intermediate level is done through oral, aural and reading comprehension, and translation of a variety of Persian texts, or digital, audio and visual material, dealing with variety of topics and different registers of Persian language.
Prerequisite: Persian 2A (PG) or equivalent
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
At the end of the module, a student should be able to demonstrate…
- Knowledge and understanding of upper-intermediate (CRL B2) Persian grammar
- Knowledge and understanding of a wide range of Persian vocabulary for a range of specialised topics, and nuianced social interactions.
- Knowledge and understanding of the appropriateness of a range of Persian structures and expressions in a given context
- The ability to understand passages in written Persian of medium length on specialised and fairly complex topics with the help of a dictionary.
- The ability to produce passages in written Persian of medium length on specialised and familair topics.
- The ability to understand Persian spoken at a natural pace and to engage in spoken discourse of relative complexity on everyday and more specialised topics.
Total of 10 weeks teaching with 4 hours classroom contact per week in language classes.
Scope and syllabus
- Reading: Reading material is selected from a variety of sources including everyday news and social items from newspapers, magazines, or internet sources, relevant to specialised needs such as travel, film and book reviews, instructions, guide books, and short stories.
- Writing: The practice of this skill includes a variety of tasks such as translation, composition, letters, and reflective diary enteries. The main aim of the exercise is to promote grammatical accuracy and improve handwriting, and encourage wor-processing and typing in Persian. The teaching of grammar at this level is informal and contextual where required.
- Oral: This aspect of the module concentrates on communicative and descriptive skills at upper-intermediate level such as conducting formal or specialised social conversation, formal dialogues, giving instructions, making complex arrangements and inquiries.
- Aural: Listening material in the form of recordings from radio, or audio podcasts or films, etc. suitable for upper-intermediate level.
Method of assessment
- A weekly journal, or a portfolio of writing and translations, or narrated powerpoints, or podcasts- or a combination of all these language use options, in Persian. 800 -1000 words in total or 20 minutes audio, or video in total (20%)
- 1x 2hr mid term test (20%)
- 1x 20 min oral exam (20%) in May/June
- 1 x 3hr unseen written exam question paper (40%) in May/June
- The exact assessment deadline dates are published on the relevant module Moodle/BLE page